Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"Always be prepared..."

I've lived most of my life in a comfortable Christian atmosphere. Christian school from K-12, then a Bible college. Church every Sunday. Loving Christian parents. I've even had very limited experience working for non-Christian employers. Some of you may know, I consider my first brush with the "secular world" to have happened the summer before my senior year of high school. It was culture shock, but I survived.

So as you may imagine, I haven't had a lot of opportunity to live out the verse that says, "Always be prepared to give an answer to those who ask you the reason for the hope that you have." I just don't ever get the question!

I've gotten it twice in the last four days, point blank, and totally blew it both times.

Saturday. I'm tired, but not in a bad mood. Pouring a cup of water for my client and singing some somewhat depressing song... I think it was from Spring Awakening. One of my co-workers walks up behind me and goes, "How do you do it?" "What?" "You're always in a good mood." She probably asked because I was singing while I worked, but whatever. My lame response? "Dude. Did you SEE me this morning? I didn't sleep at all last night and I was so tired that I actually felt depressed all morning." Which was true. Her assessment of my perpetual state was anything but accurate. But that was major Fail.

Monday. It's a really slow day and there are like six or seven females from all departments hanging out in the break room. I hate to think what got them started, but they all started whipping out their phones and passing around pictures. You know, *does the physical sign for "in quotes"* "pictures." I was like, no thanks, I don't want to look. So one of them is like, "Oh yeah, she's all pure and stuff." "Yeah, she's too young to be looking at those." "She's older than I am, LOL!" "No way. How old are you?" "Almost 25." "No way! I totally thought you were like 18." So a while later, You Look 18 asked me straight up, "Why don't you want to look?" So I, like a dunce, go off of the joke they were using earlier and replied, "Oh, you know. I'm all innocent 'n stuff." And made a face as I walked out.

Her name is Yezzie. (pronounced Jessie) I found myself alone with her in the office not too long thereafter and was able to be a little more serious about it. Come to find out, she's a Jehovah's Witness. When I told her I'm a Christian and believe it's neither Scriptural nor something that's good to be putting in my head, she said, "Yeah, that's true. Most Christians don't really care though, y'know?" "Yeah, and it's a shame because we're supposed to be making a difference, right?" Then she surprised me with "Yeah. Man, I'm sorry for setting a bad example."

So... by the grace of God, I was able to redeem that conversation somewhat, maybe... but guys, this is new territory for me. Please be praying that I won't chicken out, in the event that I be given another opportunity like these....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i will be praying. i've had similar situations happen to me at work. one guy i work with likes to "argue" Christianity and leave me with no answer simply to win the argument.

Giving an answer is not always "giving an answer." Don't forget the impact of your actions... the fact that they know you don't wanna look at "that stuff" or that you are "always in a good mood." Those are secular phrasings but they point to a deeper hope that IS being noticed.

I've found that honesty is what shows a difference, not perfection. Be honest about your life and point them to your Savior that is greater than your faults and greater than your non-preparedness. Christ is the difference, not a well-formed answer.

But as I've experienced, this is a struggle. Its a struggle to find the balance. I'll be praying that God guides you to that balance.
Love ya!